"Signature" Poached Pears
Poached Pears in Red Wine Sauce. Served as a first course, these are tasty, pretty, and popular with guests.
- 6 large firm Bosc, D'Anjou, or Red Crimson pears
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3/4 cup sugar
- Pared rind of 1 lemon
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup red wine
- Six sprigs of spearmint, each with two leaves.
- Peel the pears and cut a slice off the bottom to allow them to sit upright.
- Place the pears, sugar, water, cinnamon stick and lemon in a large saucepan.
- Cover and cook over medium heat until fork tender.
- Remove pears and stand upright in a rimmed bowl for support.
- Add the wine to original pan and reduce heat to low.
- Continue to cook the sauce until it reaches a syrup, store in a separate pitcher.
- Refrigerate covered pears and sauce overnight.
- Warm the red wine sauce in the microwave.
- Plate the pears, pour sauce over each and garnish with mint leaves to look like fresh picked pears and serve.