"Signature" Poached Pears
Poached Pears in Red Wine Sauce. Served as a first course, these are tasty, pretty, and popular with guests.
- 6 large firm Bosc, D'Anjou, or Red Crimson pears
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3/4 cup sugar
- Pared rind of 1 lemon
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup red wine
- Six sprigs of spearmint, each with two leaves.
- Peel the pears and cut a slice off the bottom to allow them to sit upright.
- Place the pears, sugar, water, cinnamon stick and lemon in a large saucepan.
- Cover and cook over medium heat until fork tender.
- Remove pears and stand upright in a rimmed bowl for support.
- Add the wine to original pan and reduce heat to low.
- Continue to cook the sauce until it reaches a syrup, store in a separate pitcher.
- Refrigerate covered pears and sauce overnight.
- Warm the red wine sauce in the microwave.
- Plate the pears, pour sauce over each and garnish with mint leaves to look like fresh picked pears and serve.
June 23rd, 2009
Serving Size pieces Calories 80 Fat 10g (0g saturated / 10g unsaturated) Carbohydrates 30g Sugar 2g Fiber 16g Protein 0g Cholesterol 0g